We took a survey a few months ago, asking what the biggest obstacles are to living a healthier lifestyle. The overwhelming answer was MONEY! I empathize with this completely. It can be intimidating to scroll through beautiful Instagram pages and see spices from the Amazon and mushrooms sourced from mountains in Europe (I made that up), and everyone's thinking in the back of their minds... where do we get those ingredients and why are they a thousand dollars?
So we've been working on affordable, simple, organic recipes that EVERYONE can make!
The first recipe we want to share with you will feed four people comfortably and all the ingredients cost $11. That comes out to roughly $2.75 per person! This would also be a great option for lunch at work! You can make it on Sunday and it will last you most of the week! It tastes great cold and hot.
The one strange ingredient in this is purple cauliflower. If you go to the Farmer's Market, you can find it this Fall! But you can just as easily substitute regular organic cauliflower. We just like the purple because it's purple!
So without further ado...Here's our recipe for Purple Cauliflower Couscous!
1 11oz box organic couscous ($2.99 for Whole Foods brand)
1 organic zucchini, chopped (82 cents at Kroger)
1 large organic carrot, chopped ($1.19 at Kroger)
1 can organic chickpeas ($1 at Kroger)
1 organic green pepper, chopped ($1.29 at Kroger)
Handful of organic spinach ($2.19 for bunch at Kroger)
1/2 Organic Purple Cauliflower, chopped into small florets ($2.50 at Farmer's Market)
1. Make couscous according to box instructions and fluff with fork. Should take 5-6 minutes.
2. Heat up large pan with coconut oil over medium-high heat.
3. Sauté chopped zucchini, carrot, green pepper, and purple cauliflower in large pan for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add spinach and chickpeas to vegetables in the large pan and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Add couscous to vegetables and stir until warm.
6. Serve with a dash of balsamic or olive oil and enjoy!